If you’ve ever recorded a video on your smartphone just to find it sideways or upside down, then you know how frustrating it can be to watch it later. If you’re using Windows, there are several great ways to solve this problem. Don’t worry, we also have something for Mac users.
How to rotate a video – Windows Movie Maker
Windows Movie Maker is part of the Windows Essential 2012 suite of applications. Although a bit outdated and no longer officially supported, you can still download the Windows Essentials 2012 offline installer (this is a direct download link that weighs 130 MB). Many applications still work well – including Windows Movie Maker. You will only be able to install the applications you want. Windows Movie Maker is probably the easiest option if you just want to rotate your movies and can make gentle editing.
If your movie is already on your Desktop, simply drag it to the Windows Movie Maker window.
On the Home ribbon, in the “Editing” section, you’ll see two buttons “Rotate left” and “Rotate right”. Click “Rotate left” and notice that our video is now oriented correctly. How to save your work? The easiest way to do this is by clicking the “File” menu and selecting “Save movie”. You will receive many settings to choose from. In this case, we will facilitate and choose “Recommended for this project”.
How to rotate a video – iMovie
You can download the latest version of iMovie from the App Store for free. Using iMovie, you can rotate video clockwise and counterclockwise 90 on a Mac. That way, you can easily flip vertical video to horizontal or fix inverted video in iMovie.
Rotate video in iMovie 10
- Launch iMovie on a Mac. Click “Create New”> “Movie”> “Import Media”> Add Movie> “OK”.
- Select a video clip that is in the wrong direction.
- Click “Customize” and then “Yield” On the top toolbar of the “Preview” window.
- Click “Rotate clockwise” and “Rotate counterclockwise” to reverse the video in iMovie 10. Your video clip will be rotated 90 each time you click both options.
Rotate video in iMovie 11
- Choose the video you want to rotate in iMovie 11.
- Click the “Trim” button in the top toolbar at the top.
- Click “Rotate clockwise” to rotate the video 90 degrees clockwise on time. Or you can click “Rotate counterclockwise” to flip the video in iMovie 90 degrees counterclockwise.
Free Video Flip and Rotate
The second program is Free Video Flip and Rotate. It is a free and very easy to use program that gives us the opportunity to rotate the film 90, 180 and 270 degrees and make its mirror image relative to the vertical and horizontal. During installation, he wants to give us some add-ons (e.g. Ask toolbar). They are completely unnecessary and do not affect the work of this tool in any way, so we recommend unchecking them.
Open the program and in the Source file field indicate the path to the movie you want to change, and in the Target file field, the location to save the new file. Using the buttons at the bottom (arrows) set the appropriate rotation and click Save video. After a while, the new file will be ready. Quick and easy.